Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting a toddler dressed

Over the last few weeks, getting Caroline dressed to go somewhere has become quite interesting. Sometimes there are tears because I refuse to let her wear a t-shirt everywhere she goes. Sometimes there are tantrums because the t-shirt she wants to wear isn't clean which means she must wear a different t-shirt. (She even goes into the laundry basket to find the one she has in mind and then asks me to do a smell test to see if it is really that dirty and must be washed before it is worn again). Then there are mornings that she becomes a little monster because I won't give in and let her wear the t-shirt under something else that will cover it up (nice try for a 2-year old, hugh?). And last, but not least, there are those rare exceptions, like today, in which it is peaceful.

As usual, the first thing she did this morning was go grab a t-shirt and pair of pants to put on before breakfast. I informed her that she could put it on, but that we would be chaning before we went to church for our Bible study. She then replied: "Oh, that's right. God doesn't like t-shirts." I then clarified that God likes t-shirts just fine, but that we need to wear nicer clothes to church out of respect to God. Hopefully that sunk in a little...we'll see.

Once we were all dressed with no tears shed, it was time for shoes. She has really become quite fond of her new running shoes, so it's easy to get her into those. However, her socks MUST be straight before she puts on her shoes. They need to be aligned perfectly on her feet and there must be no wrinkles in them. Well, this morning I must not have gotten them just right because after I had her shoes on she said, "Mommy Reese Fisher, you know that isn't right". (For those of you who don't know...Reese is her middle name, so she just inserted my name in for Caroline to emphasize her statement.) Thankfully, we were able to get everything straight before heading out the door.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

So, does this mean that Caroline gets t-shirts for her birthday or something totally different?