Well, this week marks my (Mandy's) 30th birthday. I would say that I can't believe I am that old, but if I did it would sound like something my parents would say. I guess you start sounding like them once you reach this age. :) Anyway, Matt wanted to do something special so instead of buying a cake, he attempted to bake his first homemade chocolate cake. I directed him to a fail-proof recipe...a simple sheet cake that stays in the pan. Anyway, Caroline and I went shopping while Matt stayed home with Will and baked the cake. We hurried home so that we could enjoy the cake warm, but found that the cake looked a little odd. We sampled it anyway and discovered that the icing was a bit gritty. I asked Matt what he used and soon discovered he used regular sugar instead of confectioner's sugar to make the icing....oh, what a difference it makes! I must take some blame in the goof up because when he got the box out of the pantry, he asked if that was what he was supposed to use. I glanced briefly and saw it was a yellow box, so I said, it's confectioner's sugar. Well, it wasn't and the cake had to be thrown out. As he was throwing it away he noticed that the filling had white spots in it. I asked if he beat the cake with a mixer and he replied, "No, I beat that thing by hand and it wore me out." What a man! Anyway, he was bound and determined to bake a good cake so Sunday night he was at it again. This time it tasted much better and he used the mixer. But, as luck would have it, the piece I got had a broken egg shell in it. PRICELESS! He then commented, "What are the chances that in a cake this big, you get the piece with the eggshell and you actually find it?" I don't know the answer to that, but it made for a good laugh. I told Matt I was going to write about this on our family blog, and he wasn't thrilled. He was under the impression that this blog was about our kids, but with a husband like him, I'm sure he'll have his share of stories on the site as well.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Birthday Blooper
Well, this week marks my (Mandy's) 30th birthday. I would say that I can't believe I am that old, but if I did it would sound like something my parents would say. I guess you start sounding like them once you reach this age. :) Anyway, Matt wanted to do something special so instead of buying a cake, he attempted to bake his first homemade chocolate cake. I directed him to a fail-proof recipe...a simple sheet cake that stays in the pan. Anyway, Caroline and I went shopping while Matt stayed home with Will and baked the cake. We hurried home so that we could enjoy the cake warm, but found that the cake looked a little odd. We sampled it anyway and discovered that the icing was a bit gritty. I asked Matt what he used and soon discovered he used regular sugar instead of confectioner's sugar to make the icing....oh, what a difference it makes! I must take some blame in the goof up because when he got the box out of the pantry, he asked if that was what he was supposed to use. I glanced briefly and saw it was a yellow box, so I said, it's confectioner's sugar. Well, it wasn't and the cake had to be thrown out. As he was throwing it away he noticed that the filling had white spots in it. I asked if he beat the cake with a mixer and he replied, "No, I beat that thing by hand and it wore me out." What a man! Anyway, he was bound and determined to bake a good cake so Sunday night he was at it again. This time it tasted much better and he used the mixer. But, as luck would have it, the piece I got had a broken egg shell in it. PRICELESS! He then commented, "What are the chances that in a cake this big, you get the piece with the eggshell and you actually find it?" I don't know the answer to that, but it made for a good laugh. I told Matt I was going to write about this on our family blog, and he wasn't thrilled. He was under the impression that this blog was about our kids, but with a husband like him, I'm sure he'll have his share of stories on the site as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
happy belated b'day!! i am so glad you started a blog. you know i have to dig any new info out of laura so this is perfect for me to keep up with what's going on. the kids are precious. puck and desire have come a long way (didn't think i remembered did you even when somethings are better forgotten?). love you bunches and can't wait to read more. keep posting. love ya, mama dk
Hi Mandy! I am loving reading your blog and what is going on with you and your family these days. Micah travels to Dothan ever so often...I would love to come with him to see you and meet your children. However, as you know traveling w/ two little ones is not all that fun. Hopefully, as they get older it will become easier. I am sure your two are keeping you on your toes just as mine are keeping me on mine. Both were asleep tonight by 7:30 so life is good now! :) BTW - How are we both 30 now? Didn't we just turn 20?
Happy Birthday Mandy. You are not old.... Don't let Matt in the kitchen.
How do I work this thing? Happy Birthday sis! One reason I am happy you are older than me; you get to experience some things first...turning 30!
kdk
Post a Comment