Monday, September 1, 2008

1st trip to Texas

This past weekend we decided to take a trip to visit Aunt KK and Uncle Stephen in Texas with Nana. Granted, we knew there was a hurricane approaching the coast, but since we couldn't cancel our reservations, we decided "what the heck". The original plan was to stay through Labor Day, but since the weather seemed to be deteriorating, we knew there would be the possibility that we would have to come home earlier. So, you know what that means....pack everything we can into a 2-day visit... and pack we did!

Once we finally arrived to Grapevine, Texas we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge which was absolutely wonderful! It is the neatest hotel/water park ever, and I highly recommend it to families with active kids. Of course, my mom and I can't resist a chance to shop, so early Saturday morning, KK took us (Nana, Will and me) to Sam Moon. Afterwards, we returned to the hotel to learn from Caroline that her Daddy took her down the biggest slide at the waterpark. Since there was a height requirement for most rides, I thought she was pulling my leg. However, her Daddy confirmed her story and explained that he talked the life guard into letting him take her down the slide. He told me that he figured I wouldn't allow her to do it, so he thought he better give it a try while I wasn't around. Well, Mama didn't raise no fool. I asked Caroline if she enjoyed the big yellow slide and she said, "Yes, but I'm not gonna do it again."

After we had as much water as we could stand, we grabbed a front row seat at the Luau show by the pool. Being up close and personal, I cannot imagine how those guys and girls move like that, but shake it they did! Before the kids hit the sack that evening, we went down to the Great Clocktower Show and pajama story time.



Sunday morning, we went to Aunt KK and Uncle Stephen's church, Gateway. We really enjoyed the contemporary music and their pastor is outstanding. After church, we headed for a bite to eat at the Cheesecake Factory in Southlake. Of course, considering that this is such a shopping destination, we took time out of our schedule to check out some shops. Since the guys aren't much for shopping with us, they headed to Cabelas. Once the girls and guy (Will) had finished shopping, Aunt KK took us to Christ's Haven where she operates a horse program for the kids.

To conclude our trip, we went to Aunt KK's house to pick up Matt and prepare to hit the road yet again. Though it was a rather short trip, it was action packed and we enjoyed every second we got to spend with Aunt KK and Uncle Stephen (aka Donald Duck). When leaving Caroline said, "I love Texas." I agree and hopefully we can visit again soon.

Once we finally got rounded up and hit the road, my mother mentioned that she would like to stop in Canton, Texas to grab a bite to eat at Dairy Palace. Of course, since Canton was only an hour into our trip home, my husband wasn't too keen on the idea until she informed him that they served 32 flavors of Blue Bell ice cream. That sealed the deal and I'm glad it did because that hamburger was unbelievable! We finally made it home after midnight, and just before Hurricane Gustav made it into town! Since the weather was yucky most of the day it gave us a chance to catch up on the one thing we didn't do alot of during our trip to Texas....SLEEP!

1 comment: