
Our kids have been extremely blessed in the past to have never had a stomach bug, but luck finally ran out and our sweet Caroline was the victim. Friday night Pop and Mimi were in town and treated us to Caroline's favorite...Mexican food. Considering the massive amount of queso, rice and sopapilla she ate, I shrugged it off when she told me her tummy hurt before bed. Instead, I let her hop in the bed with us to help her feelings. Well, before I fell asleep, I heard her sit up, cough and you can guess the rest. Unfortunately, the majority of the surprise landed on me and my side of the bed. After arousing my husband from his slumber, we quickly changed the sheets, cleaned ourselves up a bit and headed back to bed. It never occurred to me that this was anything more than a one-time occurrence. Well, little Will decided to start crying, so I got up to rock him a little and was so glad I did because Daddy was the victim of the next surprise. Thankfully, we have 3 pair of sheets for our bed, so we changed them again. This time, however, I realized we were dealing with something much more serious, so I Lysoled everything, grabbed the hospital pan, and took Caroline in the living room to sleep in the recliner with me. She quickly picked up on how to use the pan, and after about 6 more episodes, she had the bug whipped! She told me that the cold wet rag I put on her head was making her feel much better and that she would be alright. After seeing her like that, I thanked the Good Lord above that we have healthy children who rarely get sick. Usually after church on Sundays, Caroline begs us to go eat Mexican. This Sunday, however, she quickly requested going home to eat. She said, "I don't want any Mehcan today." Bless her little heart!
Okay...I probably shouldn't put a picture of my sick child on the blog, but if I looked this cute after being sick all night, I wouldn't mind. Besides, the picture was taken after she had whipped that nasty stomach bug. She was so glad it was finally over!
1 comment:
as a veteran of stomach bugs (me and my kids)...
1) let them sleep on blankets on the floor. that way, you can toss a blanket in the washer rather than changing sheets.
2) save the big plastic ice cream buckets when you finish them. they work great as vomit buckets, and you can then throw them away. no need to wash them.
3) forget clothes. they'll only have to be washed. (this applies to kids only, please.)
4) if it's a crib-sleeping kid, wrap a blanket around the mattress so you only have to put a new blanket on...not take that stupid thing out and change it all.
5) sprite and oyster crackers (less crumbs than saltines).
6) no milk. at all. period. (you don't want to see that come back up.)
7) stock up on phenergan and ambien (for yourself) b/c after cleaning that up, you are 99% likely to get it yourself.
8) call the grandparents for re-inforcements.
so sorry y'all had to go through it. at least it was quick, and now you know to trust your kid!! (if william tells me his stomach hurts, i make him carry an ice cream bucket around until he proves it's not a stomach bug!) and, maybe y'all should just stick with chick-fil-a for a little while!
Post a Comment