Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1st day of playschool

Today was the kids' first day at playschool (aka Mother's Morning Out...but we fondly refer to it as playschool because it sounds like so much more fun). We decided to try out a new program this year and so far all three of us are thrilled. I'm relieved, especially since I got up at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line just to get our names on the list last spring. Rumor was that this program was top notch, and so far I couldn't agree more.

Last week, there was a parent night and the following day, there was "Meet the teacher". Caroline and Will both had so much fun meeting their teachers that neither really wanted to leave. Last night, I put them both to bed early, something we haven't done all summer. I was a little apprehensive as to how this morning would go since we had to actually be at the school at the time they normally get up. However, both hopped out of bed somewhat cheerfully and gladly got ready for their big day.
On our way to school, Caroline informed me that she would like to take her little brother to his room. I obliged and once we saw he was going to be okay, we headed to her room. However, just as we rounded the corner, we both heard him start to whimper. Caroline looked up at me and said, "I think that's Will crying." I agreed and said, "I'm sure if they can't get him to stop crying, they will come get you to help calm him down." Anticipating his separation anxiety, I grabbed my chance at a photo with Will's teacher, Mrs. Natalie, at "meet the teacher night". As it turns out, we already knew Mrs. Natalie because she takes her little ones to story time at the library as well. In fact, she was one of the ladies who talked me into trying this program!

Although a little apprehensive and nervous (she kept playing with the button on her dress), Caroline did great when I dropped her off. She posed for a quick picture with her teachers, Mrs. Michelle and Mrs. Brooks, and then headed off to play. Mommy then headed off to play as well...a game of tennis that is!
When I picked them up, their teachers all bragged on both of them and said they did so well on the first day. They also told me how sweet they were to one another with they saw each other in the hall going to and from recess. According to Mrs. Michelle, they gave each other a quick hug and then got back into their line to go with their classes. Oh, my precious little angels!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Caroline is about to squint her eyes out; she looked so excited. I can't believe Will is that tall.