Saturday, May 16, 2009

Our Triathlete

Today Matt completed his first triathlon, the Soak Up the Sun Triathlon in Reunion. It was a .25 kms swim, a 8 mile bike ride and then a 2 mile run. We were glad to see him finish in the middle of the pack, especially since he was one of the last ones to enter the water. I almost missed him crossing the finish line because I was busy running my mouth (imagine that) to a friend of ours whose husband was in the race as well. That explains the picture below because I was hurrying to get the camera in position so I wouldn't miss him as he ran by. He was just too fast!
Unfortunately, Matt did not take his watch, so he is not sure of his time. After the race, he went to check out his official time with the race officials, and discovered that they had some sort of problem with the times and didn't have an accurate time for him. Their records indicated it took him just over an hour, but that included a 20 minute swim, which was totally wrong. Hopefully they will discover the error so we'll get a more accurate time. In the meantime, we'll rely on their time for the bike and run portion and add about 6 minutes for the swim (which we are sure he swam under this time) to come up with a 50+ minute to finish. Needless to say, I'm going to make sure he wears his watch next time (if there is indeed a next time) so that he can see if he meets his goal.Of course the kids and I were on hand to document this momentous occasion. He even obliged me by smiling at the camera. After the race was over, Matt made Caroline's day by letting her ride his bike. She was tickled pink and said she might have to do one of those one day.

1 comment:

DK Baria said...

congrats matt on the finish!!!! way to go. mama dk