Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rain, rain, go away!

On Wednesday night of the Fair Mecie and I decided to stay at Uncle Randy and Aunt Sharon's fair cabin with Hunter, Helen and Caroline. Since Pop and Mimi volunteered to keep Will it seemed like the perfect opportunity to let Caroline truly experience the fair. Unfortunately, it rained most of the afternoon and evening, but we didn't let that spoil our fair fun. Instead, the kids put on their rain boots and had a blast playing in the rain and puddles.Thankfully, the rain finally let up around 9:30pm, so we made a mad dash to the midway for a few rides and fair food. Since most responsible parents put their kids to bed at a reasonable hour, the midway was ours for the taking...no lines and plenty to ride. After we had our fill of the midway, we headed to see Class Reunion at the pavilion. While Hunter and Mecie decided to sit back and just take it all in, the girls and I went up front and did a little dancing. Since we worked up an appetite from dancing, we decided to get a funnel cake and some cotton candy on the way back to the cabin. Believe it or not, the kids were undeterred by all the sugar, and we were all in bed by midnight! That is a record for me because I never dreamed of going to bed at midnight all the other times I stayed at the fair. Heck, when we were getting ready for bed, we accidentally woke Josh up from his nap...he thanked us kindly and informed us that our little wake up call was just in time for him to get in on the night action at the Fair.

I wish I could say that we all slept in the following morning, but when you are in the company of a prize winning cow handler, you must get up at the crack of dawn. Yes, we all got up bright and early Thursday morning so that we could cheer Hunter on as he showed his first calf. Now don't think for a minute that having a late night at the Fair affected his performance...no, he won a blue ribbon for showmanship in the cow show. Way to go, little man!
I should probably mention that getting up early in the company of a Deweese man is always a real treat. My Pappaw and Mommaw Deweese taught both of their boys how to make biscuits that make you want to "slap yo' momma". Uncle Randy did not let us down, because hot biscuits were coming out of the stove when we made it down the stairs. This was another treat for me because in years past, I got up too late and the biscuits were usually gone.
I didn't know that so many activities went on during the morning hours of the fair, because we also got to see Uncle A play the drums at the pavilion before Home Town Pride day got kicked off. This year he is the lead drummer and from the sounds of things, he's got his drum section under control. The kids and I are already looking forward to seeing him march once football season rolls around!

Once all the festivities were over, the kiddos began to meltdown quickly. So, we ate a quick lunch and headed back to Mommaw and Pappaw's for a good afternoon nap! When I asked Caroline what she thought about her night at the Fair, she smiled and said she was ready to go again. And if you are wondering what her favorite part of the night was...well, sleeping on the top bunk bed in our own little room with Hunter, Helen and Mecie in the bunk below us of course! Caroline and I would both like to thank Uncle Randy and Aunt Sharon for their hospitality and letting us stay at their cabin. We'd also like to thank Pop and Mimi for taking care of our little Demolition Man so that we could have a night to our selves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like y'all had a great fair. We got to come the whole week and enjoyed it too, except for all the rain, but it didn't stop us either. hope you're doing good.